For the past five years I’ve been building software in Ruby, it’s a great a language to work in and for many situations its performance is more than adequate. Recently though, I started to encounter situations that would benefit from something with a little more oomph! There’s plenty of languages I could choose from that’d give a good speed boost, and after much consideration I whittled the list down to Go and Java.
I’ve been playing around with Java for a couple of months (just some casual learning really) and I have no experience what-so-ever with Golang. To allow me to gain some real world experience, as well as something to let me gather performance data of each, I decided to write a small test app, and share my test results here.
I won’t be going into details on why I chose Golang and Java (speed was just one of the criteria), but I will give you a little background on the app I wrote to test them.
UPDATED 2015-11-21: now includes benchmark results for both Go 1.4.2 and 1.5.1.
Hi, my name is Michael and this is my personal blog. Here I’ll be posting various coding thoughts and experiments; everything from writing blogs in Ruby, to Go tools and Z80 Assembly. This site is powered by Thunderaxe, a blogging platform I built using the Roda Ruby framework.